The Student Success Center supports Virginia Tech's mission to expand personal growth and opportunity, advance social and community development, provide outreach and support services to under-served populations, and improve the quality of life by providing holistic support to our undergraduate students through a network of programs and services to help freshman and transfer students make a successful transition from high school to college as well as facilitate academic and social adjustment to Virginia Tech and to students who want to improve their academic and non-academic skills such as time management, study skills, and networking skills.
The Student Success Center strives to empower students to become life-long learners and contributing members of society, and to facilitate Virginia Tech's successful achievement of an institutional climate that is supportive of student success.
Academic Recovery Programs
- Our academic recovery programs are designed to help students on academic probation, and those returning from suspension, get back in good academic standing. There are a variety of programs available, so check them out today and plan your attack to get back on track!
Exam Preparation: The Final Challenge
- A seminar designed just for FRESHMEN to help them prepare for and SURVIVE their first year of final exams at Virginia Tech!
Reading Assessment and Assistance
- Testing and assessment of reading skills are offered both individually and as part of various courses and programs. Information and workshops are available to help students improve reading skills and learn strategies for improving reading effectiveness.
Seminar Series on Academic Success
- These free series is comprised of one-hour seminars on a variety of topics related to academic success. The program is designed to provide students with a low pain, big gain opportunity to learn strategies to develop the academic skills and personal attributes needed to be successful at the college level. The seminar environment encourages students to interact and ask questions related to their individual concerns about the specific topics.
- U-Turn is a four-week program aimed at helping students who are not satisfied with how their semester is going academically turn their performance around. Topics covered will include effective reading and study skills, time management, test preparation and test-taking skills, stress management and test anxiety, staying motivated and overcoming procrastination.